Sapulut via a tie-up with Universiti Malaysia Sabah in 2017 embarked on the fabrication of cross-laminated timber (CLT). Cross-laminated timber (CLT) is a large-scale, prefabricated, solid engineered wood panel.
Trees from the Paraserianthes Falcataria (Batai) and Neolamarckia Cadamba (Laran) from our plantation had been tested for the purpose.
The tests, involving different parameters, were conducted, include:
- Different amount of layers
- Fire resistance
- Glue spread amount
- Termites attack
- Finger joint layout
- Different adhesives wettability
- Different lamina combination
- Bonding properties
- Different layers of layout
With the proper investment and innovation, CLT created using Sabah’s tropical timber species may match other CLTs that are being used in high-rise construction overseas.
By using sustainable forest plantation timbers, the other advantages of Sapulut produced CLT the solid engineered wood includes:
- Lightweight yet very strong
- Fast and easy installation
- Superior acoustic, fire, seismic and thermal performance
- Generates almost no waste on site
- Offers flexible design
- Lowers adverse environment impact